Sunday, July 04, 2010

Downward dog then..fart.

In the last weeks, I have entered the acceptance stage of my prenatal existential crisis. It's ok, you may slowly approach me, the pregnant woman. Alas, the world has indeed fallen on my vulnerable shoulders and I have managed to push it off into the universe for now, but I cannot guarantee this will be forever. I attribute my coping skills to various calorie filled foods, my ever-patient husband and prenatal Yoga.
.
I've borrowed a handful of videos to decorate our living room with and I have finally dusted them off and hoped to make a home routine in addition to my Friday morning prenatal class. Curious as to why downward dog is one of the main positions in Yoga I did a quick search and found it was good because it:

•Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression
•Energizes the body
•Stretches the shoulders, hamstrings, calves, arches, and hands
•Strengthens the arms and legs
•Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
•Relieves menstrual discomfort when done with head supported
•Helps prevent osteoporosis
•Improves digestion
•Relieves headache, insomnia, back pain, and fatigue
•Therapeutic for high blood pressure, asthma, flat feet, sciatica, sinusitis
.
The benefits are endless for me. and the more I read about them, the more i am inspired to rock out with Yoga during this pregnancy. But really, they should call prenatal downward dog more like the flatulating dog because that's basically what it did for me. IT cleared the way to improve my digestion of those intestines that have been squished in the corner by my growing fetus. As a woman who prides herself in the discussion of bowel movements, I'm feeling that I don't have a lot to talk about lately.