Monday, September 28, 2009

Yom Kippur in Jerusalem

Yom Kippur in Israel. There is nothing like it in the world. Walking in white, riding bikes, and flooding into the streets without a car in sight. We spent the last couple weeks anticipating the fast. Preparing ourselves in our minds, asking forgiveness from those who we need it from and making amends with those who we care enough to contact. These actions are there to wash and cleanse our spiritual slate- to make it shiny and new for the new year. My dreams are so full the night of Yom Kippur, as if my brain and soul are together sorting and purging all my issues and all of my memories into special pockets for the new year.
.
We spent hours in Shul (synagogue) there were points where I thought the fast would get the best of me, where I would have to sit down because the words in my prayer book were running together, but slowly and surely, the sections became smaller and soon the sun was setting and we completed another successful fast. Our spirits heightened to a level they have not reached all year.

1 Comments:

At 9/29/2009 10:34 PM, Blogger Lael said...

You're definitely one of the most fascinating people I've ever come across on the internet. There are so many things I wish I could ask you, and every new entry of yours brings up more and more, it's incredible.
Gmar Hatima Tova.

 

Post a Comment