Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A letter to a friend

Dearest xxxx,

I hope this letter finds you well. It's been a long long time since we have spoken and often when I gaze out of the car window, into the heavy morning fog that draps Jerusalem I think of you. Then I think of Portland, then I think of punkrock concerts,bicycles, microbrewed beer and Mt. Hood in the early afternoon and I almost forget about you. Of course, I always refocus and remember I was thinking of you. But then I forget why, or how and then I get angry. Not at you, but at the thought of thinking about you and then forgetting. Then I wonder why memories of Oregon got into my brain. We never spent time in Portland together. Actually, most of the time we spent together is on your hot roof in Tel Aviv. We can't even see the sun set on that roof. But we can see planes flying into Ben Gurion Airport and then we usually talk about something tragic. Like the landing gear not working. Or people with body odor on crowded El Al flights from NYC.

But in all seriousness, I thought of you because I want to make Filipino eggrolls. And I thought if I lived in TA, we would probably be in the kitchen, finely dicing vegetables for these thin eggrolls and you would be bitching and moaning why we couldn't follow the recipe and just use minced PORK ALREADY! I would probably then just laugh and say "dude.Kosher is COOL."

Best,
Susi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment