Sunday, May 31, 2009

Before the morning begins

Waking up before the rest of Jerusalem is a bit lonely. The rays of sun have yet to reach their designated tiles on my kitchen floor. There is no sunny highlights of the apartment yet and the birds themselves are just beginning to stretch their wings into their morning chirping.
.
Dawn does not yet show the blue sky the day will bring, instead- an overcast layer of white mist hovers in the sky. Despite the stillness of the dawn, it is only a matter of time until the city starts to wake up. Car doors begin to slam shut and motors are creating moments of humming along the quiet streets.
.
By the time you leave the hill of Jerusalem, a golden blanket of sun begins to cover the rooftops of Ramot and the town of Abu Gush. The semi trucks are gliding down causing us to brake, go, brake go. Pretty soon, the land levels out and the sky is blue and we're beating the morning traffic with Tel Aviv in sight.
.
Tel Aviv is a late riser. She sleeps in like the beach city she is. The stores are still locked shut. If you're lucky, a coffee shop or two is open. The morning dog walkers are struggling to walk their dogs.
.
I am lightly wired, letting my flip flops slap onto the ground, I decide to walk instead of jumping onto a local bus, I'll incorporate this as my daily exercise. I arrive at work with a light glow of humidity on my face.
.
Happy Sunday everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment