Friday, July 18, 2008

melting

The summers in the middle east are sweltering. I'm pulling my grocery trolley behind me, quickly licking my ice pop as the ice turns to green syrup and runs down my hands. Dropping into my shoes. My toes are sticking together.
.
We move slowly, to avoid over exertion, the tile floors on my dirty toes are refreshing and a small treat to the heat that is hovering above my head.
.
As the engagement progresses, I notice what a different feeling being a fiancé' is. The evolution of becoming adult: noticing For Sale signs on apartment buildings. Asking friends about their mortgages. I think about my family, and how far away they seem sometimes. My parents lived the American Dream, they set up home, house and family in middle America where the Maslow's hierarchy of needs are attainable. Where space was taken from the Indians and given to everyone else. Where mortgages get you electric door car storage and 4 bedroom houses. Where there is a dining room and a living, and they are separate. A place where a McDonald's hourly employee is making more of a salary than I am.
.
It seems Israel is the reverse of that Dream. Cars are taxed 100% and the closest thing to a garden with your first home may only be an extra large flower pot holding your favorite herbs.
.
When those thoughts swirl in our heads it's easy to wonder what were we ever thinking? Despite all of these differences- there isn't much of a coincidence we all reside here. I suppose such force should be accepted, after all- we're all a pretty happy bunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment