Thursday, May 29, 2008

Swimming

"I'm not worried about you" he says. " you're a swimmer". My oldest friend in Israel, an eighty- eight year old holocaust survivor, who phones me up every few weeks to whom I relay the difficulties of finding work in Jerusalem.
.
And I guess that's the truth of the matter. I come from a swimming community, my friends back home, in the Peace Corps, we all swam extremely well. Throw us in murky water and we'll swim it clean. Only knew the doggy paddle? The backstroke takes only a few more minutes of learning. Maybe it's the immigrant blood in my Midwestern friends, their swirly marble mix of genetics pumping through their veins. Perhaps that's what it means to be American, big dreams and big cars to pack all of your belongings in and move state. Leave the sod fields behind and venture to a place where there are rolling hills of concrete and your name in lights on top of pumping venues. Develop your guts and you'll become great, be very very patient. You're competing with thousands of swimmers just like you. Here are a couple links of my favorite water monkeys.
.

Click HERE for the latest article written about Jules.
.
Here Scientific American's blurb about Bry HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment