Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Kuzari

My move to Jerusalem has replaced "I" with "We". These days, P Bonez and I are merging our lives together as one, keeping our sporting preferences as a symbol that we carry at least one authenticity.
.
That thought reminds me of an old kung fu movie I bought once. A Kung Fu master who had no legs and another one with no arms. In order to fight the bad guys, the master with no legs hooked himself in a basket on the back of the master with no arms and they would do this twirl thing to fight their enemies successfully. I share this with you because my strength is in my hand eye coordination and my arms, hence my success in Boxing and Bball. P Bonez has extra muscles that seem to grow out of his legs, and although he is lacking the physical beauty of one of his toes, he can pretty much balance anything on them.
.
"We've" taking on to studying together. This is a result of long summer Shabbats
and much time to read, study, and discuss random nothingness. Tuesday evenings have turned into a study with my roommate and his girlfriend and new found mentor-slowly reviewing and studying The Kuzari, the famous argument from medieval Spanish Philosopher and Rabbi Yehuda Halevi on the validity of Judaism.
Halevi also happens to be from Castille, Spain. Which is also the place rumored to be where my great grandfather, the sly Fernando Caasi came from. (or maybe my great great grandfather)
.
We've only begun our analyzation and discussions on the book, beginning with Greek philosophy, which makes my tongue water as philosophy was a big interest of mine during my university days, waaaay back when.
.
It's interesting to witness the process of moving to a new place, if only an hour away- my life was in Tel Aviv, my studying, my social life- as I settle in Jerusalem, I am rebuilding my comforts, in a new place- with a lot of the same people, and many I have yet to encounter.

4 Comments:

At 5/30/2008 5:10 PM, Blogger em5750 said...

A girl studying Kitab al-Khazari? W0W. Kol haKavod!
Make sure you read Even Shmuel's edition. Ibn Tibbon might be too hard for the modern Israeli.

I have to admit I'm impresed by your expression, that you're "studying" the book and not merely reading it.
Every word, every teaching of rabbi Yehudah is golden. As Rabbi Yoseph ibn Saddiq praised him:

"Wreath of beauty, father of intelligence, glorious hart,
Father of ethics, indigenous to wisdom and Torah"

 
At 6/03/2008 5:14 PM, Blogger The Ginrod said...

The edition i have is Hartwig Hirschfeld's translation from the Arabic.
I didn't realize it was such a surprise for females to study it!
thanks anyway. It's good for feeding the brain.

 
At 6/03/2008 9:27 PM, Blogger em5750 said...

Horrible translation. It'll give you the wrong impression, like when you get to (around) pg. 230, where you would think that the rabbi states that women lack intelligence and good judgment, while the original text never said that, so be careful!

Note that today we have more older Hebrew manuscripts than Arabic. But if you still want a translation from the Arabic, get Rabbi Yoseph Kapach's edition (from Machon Moshe in Kiryat Ono), and that of course if you read Hebrew.

Share some thoughts after you done reading.

 
At 6/03/2008 11:10 PM, Blogger The Ginrod said...

well, i wish my Hebrew was good enough, but it is far from even acceptable. you don't sound like the 18 year old that your profile states. either way, i will keep an open mind and understand that much gets lost in translation!

 

Post a Comment