Sunday, May 25, 2008

Grandma number two

In the large and ever fertile Filipino family, one is often confused as to whom we are actually related to. Women with wrinkles and black hair call themselves your grandma when your mothers mom is standing next to them, your cousin could mean the "neighbour from the old country" or your cousin cousins' cousin.
.
It isn't even weird. There was some comfort in knowing there was as many grandma's as you needed that day, there was grandma #1, #2, #3. My actually grandmother was in and out of the U.S during my life, grandma #2, her much younger sister, was a staple in my summer visits to Va Beach. She accompanied mom, Bry, and Grandma #1 to Germany, when we deposited my father's ashes in his hometown.
.
Grandma Tess's heart called it quits over the weekend. She has left our family in deep mourning with sleepless nights.
.
Last night in my dreams, I sat on a lush, green hill - facing forests of pine trees and a large blue sky. Next to me was Grandma Tess, she was calmly making large quilts that rested on the hillside. These quilts were made of rose petals. Their cool petals relaxed me as we sat next to one another not speaking.

2 Comments:

At 5/26/2008 9:18 AM, Blogger Noodles said...

Sorry darling. Wish your family strength XXX

 
At 6/02/2008 9:12 AM, Anonymous Citadel said...

Quinn was born the monday of the week that grandma died. It didn't seem right..i watched Quinn change our lives because of his birth and then saw their lives change because of grandma's death. i miss her already.

 

Post a Comment