Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Conversion mess

It kills me to read articles like this.
.
I don't know when I will understand why the Rabbinical Court and the Ministry of the Interior cannot work together, and perhaps it doesn't affect most people. But as a convert- as someone who has taken her new faith and lifestyle as a very serious matter- well, when conversions are completed, I don't believe anyone has the right to challenge it.
.
I know what many will say: if the convert isn't a practising Orthodox Jew, then they have the right to have their conversion annulled.
.
In the world of the Ginrod, that is incorrect.
.
The ultra- orthodox Jewish community cannot treat converts like Jews who are not Jewish. Such an attitude creates social problems for converts. I find it disturbing that anyone would question my faith and dedication to being Jewish and an Israeli.
.
Perhaps the converts discussed in the article are 'different' from the Jewish convert I am, but just like there will always be Jews who keep kosher and who don't, Jews who fast on Yom Kippur and Jews who don't. There will converts, I mean- JEWS who do the same. They are Jews and their status should not be threatened- 15 years later.
.
A hint of steam just rose from my right earlobe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment