Monday, April 28, 2008

on the verge of some sort of bronchitis

My body has timed my immigration perfectly.
.
I'm Israeli, have I told you?
.
I also have something to confide: for the last few months I had been living without health insurance. Not intentionally, it was just the whole paying for it thing, and then it ran out, and then I forgot to renew, and then I thought 'i'll be immigrating in a week, why catch up on back payments when I'm broke anyway?'. Such reasoning poured into my noggin' for the last few months until alas, I had been going months uninsured.
.
If my mother ever found out, she'd kill me. Number one rule in the Doring tribe: NEVER take a step without health insurance.
.
Today I picked up the piece of paper that gives me access to my Israeli health insurance. Just in time. As of last night, my ears were clogged and my upper respiratory system is running on it's spare tank. This evening, I cooked up a batch of Arroz Caldo (Filipino rice soup) heavily flavoured with ginger and garlic to warm my torso. The taste brought memories of nearly every day of my half filipino childhood.
.
I've made a long to-do list for tomorrow. hopefully this week I can get as much paperwork as possible sorted. Then I can see what I should be doing with the rest of my life.
.
x

6 Comments:

At 4/29/2008 6:07 AM, Blogger amboo213 said...

My husband makes Caldo, also. I wonder if it's the same.

 
At 4/29/2008 1:25 PM, Blogger The Ginrod said...

probably. The Philippines was colonized by the Spanish, so i'm sure there are many similarities!!

 
At 4/29/2008 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds delicious....what do you substitute for the fish sauce in the kosher version? or does it work ok without the fish sauce just with loads of garlic and ginger?

yum yum

 
At 4/29/2008 9:52 PM, Blogger The Ginrod said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4/29/2008 9:53 PM, Blogger cornflake girl said...

I think catching all sorts of sickness is just a part of the aliyah process. Refuah shleimah.

 
At 4/29/2008 10:02 PM, Blogger The Ginrod said...

no fish sauce- just chick broth and scallions and heaps of ginger and garlic. it's a poor man's recipe- but good when sick!

 

Post a Comment