Wednesday, February 27, 2008

That little blue docket

After I opened up my passport for the number to verify a contract, I started flipping through the blue leather. Almost expired, it only has two pages left for stamps. For some reason, I feel a little proud about this trait. That docket has built some character over the years and the picture of myself at age 17 hardly resembles the person I am today. Wednesday. Happy Birthday P Bonez!
.
Her face is so much rounder, a strong auburn tint is witnessed from the insanely short hair on her head. Her lips are much much more full, lacking any sort of gloss or applied redness. She had yet to discover shaping her eyebrows or giving her eyelids a tad of color. The look on her face was the exactly the sentiment she was feeling. "my parents are making me get a new passport and I'm not sure why."
.
That passport took her the next year to Scotland & Ireland, then to Europe, out of Morrocco and into the Philippines, through Japan, and into Thailand. It's last stamp is of course here in Israel.
.
I was reconstructing the dates of 2005 by referring to the stamps:
  1. Departure 1st of April from Bangkok.
  2. Arrival 1st of of April, U.S.A.
  3. Arrival 22 April Bangkok.
  4. Departure 26 April Bangkok
  5. Arrival 27 April Ben Gurion Border control. Valid for three months..
It was only then I realized that when I tell my story, I add on a few days. That I arrived in Tulsa a couple days earlier and in Thailand a day longer. I wonder why. That was a crazy time. That 17 year old in the passport picture- the one I've been carrying around for a decade had no idea how she would fill that little docket. She had no idea it could ever get so full really.
.
Nor did she realize she would be able to say "Let's start a mango revolution" in 5 languages.

2 Comments:

At 2/28/2008 2:11 AM, Blogger jacki said...

funny you should write this, i just today went to the consulate and madrid and renewed the passport i got ten years ago when i was 20...

it felt sad saying goodbye to that little book. so many trips and memories. i was never so proud as when i had to add extra pages while in costa rica in 2002.

when the new book arrives i'll look at it as a challenge.
jacki

 
At 2/28/2008 1:16 PM, Blogger Ginrod Isus said...

But the new passport will never be like the old one. This passport was the whole 'i am discovering the world and myself and i have the stamps to prove it! The new one will be 'been there done that, but you wouldn't know cuz' it's my old passport'.
x

 

Post a Comment