Thursday, February 14, 2008

it's that Gentile holiday Vday.

I've been reflecting about Valentines Day a lot. A holiday that boasts consumerism almost on the same level as Christmas. Only Valentines Day is one day, and Christmas is a whole season of consumerism. My remembrances of V day is of Wal-mart. Of boxes and boxes of American chocolates, re wrapped in shiny red foil, of pink cards, and red roses. Small bears holding red hearts with heart sick expressions on their face. Pink socks with arrows and tart candies with romantic sayings illegibly stamped on their faces.
.
Vday was a waitresses' nightmare. As a career waitress from the age of 17, tables were filled with couples goo'ing and ga ga'ing over one another. In America, our waitressing income was based solely on tips. So when couples sat in my large tables in my sections, I was out what a group of four would tip. "We want this evening to be special" they would say- "we want a bottle of wine!!" Then the male would usually order a Zinfandel and I would explain that the sweet Zinfandel could hardly be compared to it's Cabernet counterpart. That it would be like calling an American Budweiser a real beer.
.
I think my favorite cliché of all was the proposing on Vday. I've done it all, put the ring in the chocolate chip mint ice cream cake, stuck it in the champagne glass- I think the most creative is when I served at a Asian bistro restaurant and we would steam the fortune cookies open and slip in the "will you marry me" note inside before closing it back up again.
.
On the first Valentines Day that I actually have a great man by my side. The day no longer has it's meaning. Not necessarily because I'm Jewish now, but more so- because I am no longer a waitress, and Vday was always the holiday where you HAD to work. Because it's going to be a "crazy busy" night. Because men had to take out their women and for one evening alone, pretend to be the romance that their girlfriends and wives read about in books with Fabio on the cover.
.
In the spirit of Vday. I present to you my niece, Elaina. She's a little cherub isn't she?
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment