Tuesday, January 01, 2008

props to 2008

Last night I sat with two groups of friends to bring in the new year. My Israeli friends, who I came to know in 2004 in Chiang Mai Thailand, and my "new" friends, the fellow English speakers that are my comfort zone and urban family in the Middle East.
.
Soon after midnight- I became a bit sentimental reflecting on every movement it took for us all to end up at that very moment, together- under the same roof. It was a matter of 24 hours really. A decision adamantly made by Tsiki to travel up north then and there in 2004. It was a matter of 15 minutes a few days later that I would accidentally run into him in Chiang Mai that would bring us all together last night, under the same roof, with many of the same memories. You see, it is not only me that was sitting there by mere coincidence in Israel. It was also Tsiki's best friend's girlfriend who found herself, a Canadian- with no Israeli identity, underneath the same roof bringing in 2008 with us. It's been almost 4 years since our history started. All to end up at the same point- just now in Tel Aviv, Israel instead of the dusty roads of Thailand.
.
When I introduced Tsiki's best friend to one of P Bonez closest friends. I stated "you two have a lot in common, you're both best friends of men I love." Sure, such a comment would be awkward in many social situations, but I would like to think they both knew what I meant, that we may not have the means to control our fate. And no one would wish a story of sadness, but this is what it is. It's the closest thing to truth I have. And with 2008 being lived at this moment, there is a lot of beauty in this whole story of life we all lead.
.
So here's to 2008. The first year since 2005 that I actually am happy to enter- For so many different reasons, for understanding how far so many people can come in such a short time. For understanding the beauty of coincidence, and respecting fate. To understand that- well, we may not be able to explain it now, but there's a reason I am sitting underneath the sky of Israel, and there's a reason why I've felt the things I've felt. I am grateful to have 2008. With much respect and eagerness. Because- I have no idea was will happen, and I'm finally ready to experience it all..again.
xx

3 Comments:

At 1/02/2008 2:51 PM, Blogger IsraLuv said...

what a beautiful post... this year is going to be the beginning of something beautiful.

 
At 1/03/2008 4:08 AM, Blogger Larissa said...

Hey
I came across your blog while looking for info on Haalufa lol
I really am enjoying reading your blog... and it is really conforting to find a fellow "ola hadasha" and blogger...

check mine out:
www,welcometolarissaslife103.blogspot.com

lets exchange messenger and chat...
I havesome questions about Haalufa, since my hebrew still sucks lol

hiope to hear from you soon

Larissa

 
At 2/01/2008 6:31 PM, Blogger Shara said...

Happy 2008, babe.
I feel like we're all on the verge of beautiful things :)

 

Post a Comment