Sunday, January 27, 2008

discipline

My impending Aaliyah has pushed me towards some other decisions I will finally make. Decisions that I've put in a closet for further thought until a certain amount of fate brings it to light. As many of may know- I thwarted most decision making until I felt that I was close enough to be able to make these decisions.
.
I've tallied up a couple of thoughts of what it takes for a single woman like myself to get as far as I have with this process. It is no simple task and one is required to develop a high dosage of patience and sheer will to get to this point. So for my Sunday thoughts of a Ginrod here is the following recipe to reach pre-aliyah passage:

Slow cooked aliyah recipe for a convert

1 Ishur Giur
1 Hamarak Dat
1 Mikvah visit
1 Atzum organization
1 Girlfriends of fallen soldiers organization
1 family Eyal
1 P Bonez
1 insanely supportive immediate family at home
2 interviews with intimidating Rabbi's
2 Lost files
3 Visits to the Bnei Brak Rabbinical Court
3 visits to the Rehovot ministry of the interior
3 six month work visas
4 visits to the Rabbinical Court Jerusalem
5 visits to the Tel Aviv ministry of the interior
10+ kind families to help me along the way
19 Rabbi's
156 hours of private Jewish studying
At Least 200 hours of pre-conversion Synagogue attendance to grasp what goes on.
A handful of existential crisis
23 new skirts
unlimited amount of dedicated friends who are never short of serious emotional support
a bookshelf of Jewish books (and growing!)
.
I know this 'impending aliyah' talk must be redundant to my readers, but I guess when you work so hard to achieve something. The thought that it's so close is mind blowing. Anyway. My first steps after aliyah will be Hebrew study and graduate school. After completing these two goals, I am convinced I will be well equipped to give back to the community that has seen me through it all.
.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment