Thursday, December 13, 2007

Weak in Week out

This week has been outrageous. I like to think of myself as an executor. I like to do things. Get them done- feel they are done and move forward. With all the challenges of living in a new country and trying to make a life here, and with the additional frustration of not being a citizen, these challenges seem magnified.
.
If it's not a stolen bike, it's a broken laptop. If it's not the broken laptop is the Visa office being closed at all the right times. If it's not the visa, it's waiting for the meeting with the Rabbinical Court for a meeting to confirm myself so I could proceed with my citizenship and all the little roadblocks of health insurance and special non-citizen fees I have incurred in the last year would vanish with my stress.
.
I guess it's just about being patient and looking for confirmation in my life here by sitting back and realizing that a big blue sky in December is confirmation enough.
.
I went to my butcher today. For four legs and four wings. Eagerly waiting to stick them in the oven with some curry and coconut milk. I stood there, breathing in the smell of chopped flesh and dirty water. There's a man that stands in the back, with a metal glove on his left hand and a pile of dead chickens in front of him. Methodically, he grabs and chops, skins, and chops- throws the necks in one bucket, the breasts in the other. Chicken parts are flying everywhere. I was hypnotized by his consistency. I felt a little awkward when he looked over his right shoulder to see me staring at the battery of the chicken carcasses.
.
Tales of the ice storm from Oklahoma are all over my emails. Friends and Family are without electricity. Beautiful trees have broken in half due to the freeze. "I'm sorry" I tell them on the phone, "It's a shame, because I'm having my lunch break outside with my sunglasses on". Chuckle Chuckle.
.
If anyone that reads my blog has any connection with the National Rabbinical Court in Israel. Right about now would be a good time to step to the plate and help a sister out. Ginrod needs her citizenship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment