Monday, December 31, 2007

Sunday Thoughts for 2008

I spent yesterday playing around in Tel Aviv. I'm pretty pleased at the moment to have the ability to have Sundays free. Even though there is a free Friday and Saturday each week, it is not without errands to be run, or food to be cooked for the Sabbath, and of course- hours dedicated in prayer to the one that makes the earth shake. So a Sunday every now and then is a good time to remember the freedom that youth once brought us.
.
A friend and I ran into a British celebrity on the beach front. I can't say I noticed him- or if I did, that I would know who he was, but it was a good enough excuse to find out where he was going. I used the rationale I learned from all of the Raid insect commercials "where there is one, there is many". Perhaps if we followed Mr. fletcher, we'd find the nest of non-Jewish celebrities, hiding in the Hilton and willing to entertain us for the afternoon.
.
Needless to say, Ms. Posen and I are not talented spies. All it took was a stroll into an underpass to lose Mr. Fletcher. We sullenly turned around and headed toward the main street for some entertainment.
.
And there was entertainment to be had on Diesengoff street, where a jewelry robbery had taken place earlier in the day. Bloody footprints where circled in chalk that led to the crime scene. A pool of blood to tell the story to passerbys of a stabbing that put the Jewelry store owner in the hospital and a thief on the loose.
.
Shiver.
.
It was only until the evening that the philosophical angle of what i witnessed filtered in. It was then that a pang in my heart made itself availiable for me to be saddened. Let me clarify: it's easy to see Israel in a romantic perspective. And as many of you know, my story is filled with spoonfuls of romanticism to make sense out of it. Thousands of years of history has maintained that ability- the ability for 3 religions to believe in this area of the Middle east. Thousands of years to create a ever growing passion for Israel, and an ever growing imagination of spirituality in this region. Israel is the breeding ground for conflict because so many people share a deep passion for this area. The only thing we all seem to have in common is that we all have a connection to this place.
.
So when I thought about the gruesome scene I witnessed I automatically thought: Aren't we better than this? And if we're not, aren't we SUPPOSED to be better than this? and if we're not even close- which seems to be the case- how can we ever be a light unto the nations?? Because the only light we're lighting right now are the strobe lights in all of the nightclubs in Tel Aviv.
.

1 Comments:

At 1/03/2008 2:17 PM, Blogger channahboo said...

Ok yes you are right we are supposed to be better than this.... anyway I cannot believe you saw Dexter Fletcher! Unless you watch Press Gang as a kid you have no idea how cool that is! I am very jealous!

 

Post a Comment