Thursday, November 15, 2007

From Home, with love

Working from home is a deja vue of the amaranthine amount of time i would spend without human social contact in the Peace Corps. Unlike the Peace Corps, I am not sweating and sitting in front of a fan with a piece of ice stuck to my forehead. I am comforted by the many pleasures modern society has spoiled me with: a tea kettle and my iPod docking station.
.
Yesterday, I went people watching on Ben Yehuda street. Every one seemed in such a chipper mood, I almost convinced myself someone slipped ectasy tablets in their Hebrew Coca-Cola's. These were not people of the ordinary type, these people that seemed to be crawling all over Rehov Ben Yehuda came from the emotionally challenged/homeless type. But there they were, enjoying the day like everyone else.
.
Then i'm parked in front of my bank and a Filipino woman rushes towards me. "Where issss Bank Disscount?" she joyously asks me. After my explanation that the bank is now closed and she will have to wait until tomorrow to deposit her check, she goes on a long explanation how she didn't realize how near the bank was and actually.. ACTUALLY walked many blocks OUT of her way. I stand their nodding. Grin Grin. Nod Nod.
.
"Oh well. I kum bak tomorrow. Iss no problem" she giggles. "Talaga" I answer her in Tagalog. Which means: That's right. As she walks away I tell her goodbye "Sigi-Nah" and she turns and giggles and walks off. You know that giggle. It's the one I get from many Filipino's. "Girl you so white, why you fronting like you know Filipino??".
.
Anyway. Let me just express how excited I am to have plans to see other humans this evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment