Monday, October 01, 2007

The Wii

As I get older, I find the active experiences of my youth to dissipate with time: The tree climbing, the water balloons, the street hockey after school in the neighborhood tennis court. Instead of women's magazines strewn across my room to tell me which moisturizer will soften my youthful skin and stories of "I lived through ____ and this is my story", print outs of Jewish thought and theory crowd the corners of my drawers. My studded belts and plaid pants have been replaced with skirts that resemble table cloths and sometimes doilies. I've traded in my Elastica Posters for framed art, or copies of art from MoMa. Fast Food meals with names such as Value meal #1 and Super Tuesday Special have been replaced with a Jamie Oliver cookbook and a kitchen stocked of every spice attainable in a 30 kilometer parameter from my bright red kitchen.
.
The Wii has changed all that.
.
The Wii will continue to change ALL of that.
.
Instead of the girls sitting around, watching a repeat of some American series premiered two years ago in its home country, last night was spent reaching yet another level of Wii Boxing. Our competition with one another was not attained by comparing theories on who has perfect sebaceous glands, instead, we wacked it out in Wii Tennis. The red wine poured, along with our sebaceous glands, and sweaty backs.
.
Before we knew it, we were standing around an 80 year old Piano, singing classics made popular by Ella Fiztgerald and Nat King Cole.
.
As the summer comes to an end and I am ever contemplating the theories of growing up and how to be a rock star of a big girl. There is something extremely beautiful about putting the barbies away, replacing them with a glass of wine, Wii, and Piano playing.
.
The Wii has achieved combining the world of our youth with modern day social habits of career-minded adults.
.

1 Comments:

At 10/01/2007 9:02 PM, Blogger Eugene said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment