Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Story of my life.

The locks in my new abode have slowly disintegrated. Perhaps it's from the many copies of keys that have passed through a plethora of hands. Perhaps it's from the salty air seeping into the cylinders of the standard lock of our door. Either way, each week that goes by, I spend a little more time trying to unravel the mystery of the smoothest way to enter my apartment. and tonight, I am done with the mystery.
.
Two weeks ago, I spend a record five minutes fiddling my key into the door, with nothing put pure patience. A patience I could only achieve by living in Israel. A Patience I still try to learn and what I have learned, maintain.
,
One week ago, my patience with my lock was challenged. A record 8 minutes.
.
Tonight, I superseded any record in history. I tried everything, I held my ear against the door, trying to understand the language of the cylinders grinding against one another. I tried to be gentle, then abrasive, on the attack, sneak up on the lock.. nothing worked. I hassled my roommate with phone calls. I attained her key, i twisted i turned. I held my breath then let it out. And finally, after close to an hour of despair, the lock turned and let me into my apartment.
.
As I entered, the furniture laughed at me. "You were outside pathetically for an hour!!" they seemed to chuckle at me as they comfortably sat inside.
.
Turning the key in a hard headed lock is a bit like love. If anything, it was inevitable i would eventually get it. Even if I had to find a way to climb inside (i did ask the cafe next door if they had a ladder, they said they used to, but it was never returned when on loan). It's a bit frustrating, and sometimes easy. And you never appreciate it until you finally get inside, then..it feels like home.
.
Tomorrow, the locksmith will be summoned, but not to my heart, someone already has that working key. Only to my stubborn door.

1 Comments:

At 10/04/2007 8:32 PM, Blogger Galadriel Thompson said...

Hello Susi. It's Galadriel from old Tulsa. I was talking to Phillip not too long ago and you came up somehow. I know it will sound very presumptuous of me to say this, but I want to send you my wishes and prayers. Of course after talking to Phillip I googled you like a dork and spent some time reading your blog and some articles. I admire your spirit and beautiful heart. Of course, I don't really know what your life is like, but all the same, you're inspiring.

Best wishes & God bless.
Galadriel

 

Post a Comment