Sunday, October 14, 2007

Mother in the Motherland.

The mom and Aunt have safely arrived in the Motherland. I've been busying myself with managing an educational and encouraging schedule. I find myself slipping in comments like 'you should consider a vacation home here' and 'please pay attention to kosher eating as you'll have to keep it for your grandchildren one day'. A bit of pride mixes in to have my mom around, for here to see the fruit of my labor. She comes to visit me with an open mind, with an understanding and sense of respect of my choice to convert. For that alone, I am extremely grateful. It is much easier to have a new life with the support and interest of your family. Than to do it alone.
.
My heart feels so light and fluffy with my family around. They prance around laughing, taking pictures in every corner we approach. Every funny sign is a stop with a photo. 'why was the taxi driver so mean??' they ask me innocently. 'he's not mean, I tell them, he's just being Israeli.'
.
Questions arise at every moment so they can understand this life I have chosen to live. I realized when it comes to Judaism, an explanation is not as simple as I would like it to be. Most of my explanations are explanations of the terminology I use. Most of my sentences start with 'Some people believe this... but it comes from this quote.. some people interpret this as this, some do this because of tradition, some because it's written in stone, some don't do it at all'. It makes me realize how much I've learned in the last 2.5 years, and how much I continue to learn.'
.
It was so long that I've seen my mother, it's a breath of fresh air to be reminded why I am the way I am, I am my mother's daughter. I laugh everyday with them everyday, they stroke my hair and I feel like the luckiest daughter in the world.
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment