Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This time of year. Israel is in it's most perfect state. The waves in Tel Aviv are large and brooding, the water warm and the sun has lightened it's burning rays.
.
Last night I had a breaking Kashrut dream. I find these things very humorous. A piece of fish was cooking in the oven next to steaks and I was on a mission to find the person in the household who broke this particular rule.
.
I woke up this morning in Jerusalem, to the sound of men hammering away at a Sukka in the square outside, and to a Shofar blowing in the distance. 'Who'd ever thought?' I laughed to myself as I got out of bed.
.
It's particularly heartwarming to experience all of the holidays as a Jew. Last year, I spent Rosh Hashanna with Channah standing next to me, telling me when to turn the pages in my prayer book. I stood there nervously, finding myself lost at every paragraph. This year, I spent Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur standing in Shul by myself, not needing to follow all the text with the tip of my finger. Next year, I'll understand even more of the text. Baby steps is what it is.
.
As I come into my late twenties, I find myself hanging on to the Ginrod I knew my whole life and the person I am becoming, the change comes slowly, like coming out of a cocoon half woven by myself, and the other threads of silk from certain life experiences beyond my control. There is nothing stagnant about the life we live.
.
The mom is on her way to the holy land in the near future, I think every day about it. I have never been so excited about seeing my mom, or about showing her the live i've been living for the last two years.
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment