Sunday, September 09, 2007

These things..They Happen.

I found out this morning that I've wasted a month in terms of my immigration. This came in the form of sitting at the immigration office, yet again- to find out my file is missing a paper that they didn't inform me I needed.
.
"I thought they would accept it with one paper" Says the woman behind the desk. "And they didn't, you need the other one as well." "Why didn't you tell me I needed this paper last month???" I ask desperately. "I sat at home thinking my file was sorted, I could have gone and retrieved the paper from my Rabbinical Court!"
.
"I'm sorry" she says, not looking very sorry at all. Tears well up in my eyes. "I have been running from office to office, for 5 months now." I explain to her, deflated. "I sorted everything thinking I would have immigrated by now. I have backed up insurance, Hebrew classes I shouldn't be paying for, I need my immigration rights. What you have done is slowed me down yet ANOTHER month." My voice is shaky by now. "Yes Yes, and I'm sorry".
.
So deflated. deflated. deflated. My energy for this entire process is waning. My enthusiasm and drive to accomplish tasks that no one else seems to care about is exhausting. The endless cab rides, the closed offices, the missing paperwork. "It's all a bureaucracy" Everyone yells into my ears.
.
I laughed myself silly with my new phrase over the weekend. (inject deep serious tone) "These things....... they happen." I coined it as my new phrase. My roommate interjected with her own solemn phrase: This too....will pass." We found ourselves laughing endlessly at all the situations where we could interject our catch phrases.
.
When the roommate was upset last night by a missed phone call. I lie on the couch with my feet in the air, "these things, they happen" I say in a deep tone, and we find ourselves laughing until we can't lie on our backs anymore.
.
I guess I need to interject a bit of that humor right now. Misrad hapnim not informing a month before about a vital missing paper: These things they happen.
.
My utter frustration and deflation of the longest process in the world (everything leading up to my aaliyah): this too- will pass.
.
xx

1 Comments:

At 9/10/2007 12:04 AM, Blogger Shara said...

this is where i would say "oof" ... or "the best things come to those who wait." oh...wait...that's for ketchup. citizenship is a completely different ballpark. it'll happen, babe. all in good time.

xoxo

 

Post a Comment