Monday, September 10, 2007

Part -2

The treasure hunt for my immigration is well on it's way. Today, I feel like I did two months ago when I was waiting for a visa so I could get a certificate so I could have a meeting, only to find out I still have an endless amount of time to wait.
.
My entertainment started yesterday, as everyone knows- when I went to the immigration office.
.
"You need this piece of paper" says the uncaring woman behind the desk.

"Can I just go to Jerusalem myself and take care of it?"
.
"No, you must go to the Rabbinical Court you converted at and retrieve it."
.
Cab ride this morning is dandy. Cab driver is friendly and doesn't drive me the long way for a higher rate.
.
I arrive in Bnei Brak, Walking up the stairs in time with the Chief Rabbi, who I am sure doesn't remember me, but nevertheless- I am always a bit pleased to see this elderly man.
.
I see another Rabbi in the office, from my conversion. Explain my situation. "Oh that's an official document" He starts.. "You must go to Jerusalem for that".
.
Of course. Because the woman at the immigration office said the same thing. Who's counting their cab fare and time anyway? Not me! I quite enjoy the fact that everyone sends me to different places in this country for fun. Of course I wanted to go to Jerusalem in the first place, as well as the logic of those close to me. "Why don't you go straight to Jerusalem" they said. All I could say was "The immigration office said I couldn't go straight to Jerusalem, dunno why. That's what they said."
.
So I call up some big Rabbi's in Jerusalem and talk to their secretary. "How can I help you" the secretary states (not asks). " I need to speak with Rabbi ****". "I can help you" she states. "Yes, thank you, but I'll speak to Rabbi ****". Surprisingly, I don't wait long and not surprisingly, he gives me yet another phone number of yet another Rabbi to call.
.
Apparently, I am supposed to call him tomorrow.
.
Today is my father's birthday. I know he's lying on some cloud- with some brandy in hand listen to Chopin with a big grin on his face. I can hear his hearty laugh and his accent floating around me. "Susi my darling, mein teupchin. I told you growing up there was something about the Jews. That they know something the non Jews didn't. But they also know how to give you a good headache as well!!!"
.
Happy Birthday Dad. I really miss you.

1 Comments:

At 9/10/2007 10:18 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Darling Susi! What a headache! The toils of striving for something you deeply desire, but yet... the payoff would not be near as sweet if you hadn't had to work so hard to get it. You will be victorious, I can feel it.

 

Post a Comment