Wednesday, September 05, 2007

One never stops learning

Had a wonderful dinner last night. P Bonez and I finally found a restaurant we love. A place that has wonderful customer service and a menu that encourages me to order something different each time I go. Last night, a woman was there with her friend celebrating her Aaliyah. They were all giddy and excited, sharing with their waiter the good news as we overheard them.
.
I started Ulpan once again, another attempt to get some Hebrew into my brain. I do enjoy studying and with the purchase of my expensive electronic translator- i feel like i have a safety net for all the words I don't know (which is many).
.
Right now irregular verbs are dancing around in my brain.
.
During the break, I meet random Americans, who just made Aaliyah. One who is making Aaliyah from Israel. "how long did it take you to make Aaliyah?" She asks. "Me? it's taken me 2.5 years." I answer. She looks at me puzzled. "Long story.I converted" I say as she accepts the answer with an "aaaaahhhh"
.
So on my random bike ride later in the afternoon, I dropped by the immigration office with hope that they would be open and I could bug them a little harder about my own Aaliyah. No avail.
.
On the ride back- I thought about what a long process Israel has been in my life. All the meetings, the closed doors, the slightly open ones..the ones I slipped in barely as they slammed shut. The interviews, the acceptance letters. The "we're sorry" letters. The "we're sorry we're on strike" signs as I wasted another day to travel to yet another closed office. It has been such an arduous process. It's not wonder my favorite word in Hebrew is Savlenut .
.
I've noticed in the past week,that each morning I wake up, praying for a phone call from Misrad Hapnim, to tell me that my laminated i.d is ready and waiting. It seems so silly, to be so excited to have one, but it's pretty much all I have worked for in the last couple years. I just hope they call soon!
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment