Friday, July 06, 2007

Toilet Paper

I've noticed the world is divided by toilet paper. Thailand was a strictly one- ply toilet paper type of country. Israel is often one- ply with a two ply option. England is strictly two ply. Even in the tube toilets.
.
The more western a country, the more ply's.
.
My desensitisation for consumerism began whilst in the Peace Corps. Years later, I'm over stimulated with all the accessories and clothing the western world offers. Signs of 75% clearance dance in front of me and my mouth froths. Suddenly, I am a victim of clean packaging and catchy slogans of the west. I am completely entertained of all the musicals advertised in the subway stations. I notice the baby doll cut shirts on every window display and the printed slip on shoes.
.
Tel Aviv has all of this as well. I just pretend it doesn't. I like to think that we worry about other things more than what's in the store window. We probably don't.
.
xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment