Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Toda Giur

I waited on the steps of the Bet Din, the sign posted said it would be open from 9-10:30, this was my last opportunity to retrieve my conversion certificate before my meeting on Wednesday. I followed the man inside as he pulled out massive yellow folders, packed full of certificates. Or their version of what a certificate is.
.
After the first folder, my heart sunk a little. "What if they didn't record my conversion?" I worriedly thought. Halfway through the second folder, I found my passport number. A childish grin grew on my face as I greedily looked at the piece of paper I've been waiting 3 and a half months for.
.
The man carefully pulls it out of the plastic lining and checks for mistakes. He pulls out the second copy and does the same thing. I always thought my conversion certificate would be some beautiful, spiritually- influenced looking paper. This was a printout with a stamp on it. "I think my electricity bill looks fancier than this!!" I chuckled to myself.
.
After it is folded and in an envelope he places his hands on it. "Do you have a job?" he asks. "Eh? Me? Yeah, sure" I answer. "This is going to cost you". "Cost ME??? Have I not paid enough already??How much???"
.
I am in no mood to care too much about the price. I handover the cash and skip away.
.
My puzzle is almost completed.
.

6 Comments:

At 7/31/2007 1:28 PM, Blogger Shara said...

:) Only simchas!

 
At 8/01/2007 5:41 AM, Blogger Aubrey said...

You did it! :)

 
At 8/01/2007 5:42 AM, Blogger Aubrey said...

You did it! :)

 
At 8/01/2007 10:47 PM, Blogger cornflake girl said...

Mazal tov! We'll be celebrating real soon ;)

 
At 8/02/2007 5:11 PM, Anonymous anat said...

wonderfull!!!
love
ya


anat

 
At 8/02/2007 5:13 PM, Anonymous anat said...

wonderfull!!

love ya,

Anat

 

Post a Comment