Monday, June 25, 2007

Bronchitis, my best friend.

I was just lectured by my co-workers at the importance of finishing off my entire box of antibiotics. "That's 10 days!!" I exclaim as they just stare at me with serious, nodding heads. "If you don't finish your medicine.." starts one of my co-workers, "...you're contributing to the sickness of THE WORLD", she finishes off as my auburn co-worker adds: "See this box (she holds up her box of moxypen and shakes it heart idly) I am finishing it.. seee????"
.
Point taken as I try to explain to them that my six month tenure as an intern in Pharmaceutical PR helped me believe that most of this antibiotic hogwash is futile. I will always get Bronchitis, I will always get some form of tonsillitis, at least until they cut the suckers out. I probably didn't even have tonsillitis. My Russian doctor probably has never seen such ginormous tonsils, and therefore, disregarded that instead of being an XL tonsil freak, he simply assumed they were just infected. No worries on my end. My medicine is a confirmation of my lack of lust for just about anything. This Ginrod isn't at full throttle.
.
Especially the heat.
.
"Yesh lach chom? (Do you have a fever?)" The Dr. asked me. "Listen, these days- I can't tell if i'm sweating due to the humidity outside or because of this never ending sickness." I tell him.
.
Dr. Man doesn't speak English. So I hesitate for a second. "ergh- Hayom lo kmo, pause...hesitation... bayamim ..uh uh...haahronim. aval , ehhhhhh- um... ze yachol lehiot hahom."
.
He nods as he prints out my prescription. I'm still sweating, after all- it's only in the mid-nineties outside.
.
I mean, its not like it's Bangkok. You know.. like.. ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment