Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Ich liebe wine.

I like Pesach. I'm not so mad at it anymore. Judaism works for me because I am a huge advocate of change and challenges in every corner. It builds character. Pesach gives you the challenge for 8 days of changing the way you eat and spiritualizing a different aspect of your life.
.
Pesach is the most complicated holiday in my book. "At least on Yom Kippur we don't even have to think about anything but Praying all day!" exclaims a friend. The Grocery stores are lined with plastic, easing our decision on what we should buy that is Kosher for Pesach. I've relied on baked chicken and instant mash potatoes.
.
Let's talk about the wine. It's ALL on sale. Three for 100 shekels. Four for 100 shekels. Yarden, Binyamin, white, red, Muscat.. drink us! they say to me. Buy a set of bottles, get a special Yarden wine key. I am liking it.
.
I place the bunch on the check out table. I double bag them, they fall through -right on my big toe. They do not break, I am grateful. In the U.S the store would replace the broken bottles due to faulty bags. I don't think Israeli supermarkets would give us that right.
.
I come home, and proudly stock my wine rack. I've been a strict Cabernet girl since I could remember. After many wine classes and much upscale waitressing, a smooth cab makes my tongue watery, in Israel- I run into dry corks and chalky residue- maybe it's the storage, maybe the wine itself. Either way, all is forgiven as Pesach rolls around and corks have changed to plastic.
.
I pretend I am a connoisseur of wine, I let it spin in my wine glass, I test it- curving my tongue and breathing in the aroma. "A hint of berries" I announce. "Oak barrel and slightly smoky." I state. I let the wine spin around my glass and watch the finger-like traces fall back into the glass. "Not too watery" I remark.
.
I do not smell the cork- it's more a time consuming tradition than actually judging the quality of the wine. If the cork breaks, I attribute it to bad storage vs. the quality of the wine. How am I to know? One day I'll tour the vineyards to know a little more. Perhaps one day I'll be able to do the marketing up north for a vineyard. Have a little place with a lot of space and a hammock that I would name Lucille. I'd write Haiku's and have a large garden and some sheep. My dad would like that thought, the romance of land and space is a Doring trait.
.
I cork my wine, and save it for another evening or reminiscing of wide open spaces and a piece of land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment