Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mishna my brain out.

A few like-minded individuals and I have been fortunate enough to find one another for a bi-weekly Shiur. Maybe I should be more accurate, a few brilliant people and then.. myself get together as they compile some great presentations to cause different parts of my brain to ache and throb to the melody of The Flaming Lips.
.
I took my existential crisis with me, it wore a lily on the lapel of it's corduroy coat. Perhaps my crisis became my friend during the first time our group met, when Calev twisted our brains to think of our own definitions of G-d and how the wise men of Judaism define him? (among other things)
.
During this Shiur, we discussed the algorithm in the Mishnah to determine which claimants deserve how large a part of estate when an estate should be divided due to ones death. We had a couple theories to compare it to- Aristotle's Proportional Rule, Ramban's method of the Equal Shares Rule, Ra'abad's Rule (who??), and the how the Mishna Ketubah would divvy up an inheritance.
.
It's a nice way to determine someones perspective on the world. I can see myself judging peoples character by knowing which approach they would choose. You know..smacking my gum while twisting my hair into little knots on my head: "So like, are u more proportional like Aristotle? or Are you a Rambam kind of guy like myself????"
.
Things i have come to learn about my existential crisis in the last 24 hours:
  • It is lactose intolerant.
  • Its appetite is not as big as I once assumed when I had Sushi with it last Saturday.
  • My existential crisis is a cock-block.
  • It has better fashion sense than I do.
  • Prefers carrots and is more thoughtful than I am after 6pm on weekdays.

2 Comments:

At 2/21/2007 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, You don't know me because
I have come accross, and started reading your blog by accident and now feel compelled to write to you and tell you how beautifully you write. I am mesmerised by your words and find your honesty and thoughtfulness really enlightening.

And I also wanted to say THANK YOU and make sure that you know that the beauty of your words touches and inspires people...even complete strangers!

 
At 2/21/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger Ginrod Isus said...

awww that's the nicest thing someone has said to me in a very long time.

 

Post a Comment