Thursday, January 18, 2007

What's in a name?

What's in a name?
Another day of being the sickest i've ever been in 3 years, i am finding myself stir crazy and a bit irked at the world. To balance the table of the the nervousness the thought of the next couple months will bring, i have decided to entertain myself by having my readers help me pick out my Hebrew name.


I read the following in the Brandeis eZINE

  • A change of identity requires a change of name. When Abram came to the realization of monotheism, his name had to be changed: “Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for the father of a multitude of nations have I made thee.” (Genesis 17:5)
  • A traumatic lifestyle change is cause for a new name. Jacob's name came from the root word meaning “heel”—which so perfectly suited someone whose approach to the problems of life was always flight. Suddenly when he realized that there comes a time to fight rather than flee, the angel informed him: “Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel; for thou hast striven with G-d and with men, and hast prevailed.” (Genesis 32:29)
So onto the project:

Tell me what you think I should change my name to and why.
I'll take the name into consideration, try it on for an evening, and respond to my experiences (if any) on this blog.

Let the project begin....

6 Comments:

At 1/18/2007 10:18 PM, Anonymous Charlie said...

Riv

There's a very sweet Riv who works here at Oddcast. :) I believe its actually Rivka, but everyone calls her Riv.

 
At 1/20/2007 8:33 PM, Anonymous queenofkatamon said...

Meira Liora (you can drop the second name if you like)

 
At 1/22/2007 2:31 PM, Blogger DolceVita said...

ok i took this quite seriously...and thought about words that i would use to describe you and then found the hebrew equvallent of that name:

first off the obvious:
shoshi,shoshanna,shosh these are all derivatives of susanne wich is closest to susi
however for something completley different...

Nurit=Buttercup (i think you'd make a cute little buttercup)

Aliza=Joyful

Eliyana=My god has answered

Nava=beautiful

Shayna/Shaindel/Sheine are yiddish for the same word (and i just happen to really like this particular name)

Yael= Strenth of god

Shira=poetry or singing

if i think of anythin gelse ill get back to you

 
At 1/22/2007 3:21 PM, Blogger Friends of Tsiki said...

Well, I have a few options: Liron, Zohar, and Eden. all are nice :)

just pick one! :)

 
At 1/25/2007 5:52 PM, Blogger alias pail said...

ayelet or avital

don't know what it means, but i kinda like it. maybe it's too lord of the rings for ya. you'd be before me, alphabetically speaking.

 
At 1/28/2007 10:33 AM, Blogger channahboo said...

Ok I have thought long and hard about this and these are my top 3:

1. Liya (Not pronounced like Leah) Meaning "I have god"
2. Amalya (Sounds like Aliyaah which I thought apropriate) meaning "Work of god"
3. Nili - which does have some deap meaning, but ultimately I just like it

Sadly Mango in hebrew is still Mango as is Tutu...

 

Post a Comment