Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Oh Israel, let me count the ways I love you.

We all conveniently act like tourists here in Israel for two reasons: to save embarrassment for not knowing any better and to buy extra time to figure things out. For instance, before I left back to the U.S, P Bonez and I took a friendly drive down to the Dead Sea thanks to a temporary company car and some firewood saved up for a week.

After an enjoyable dinner consisting of rock hard potatoes and leftover soup heated up inside the fire, we retreat from the lights of Jordan back up the highway to Jerusalem. The Dead Sea drive is a common route for me, I always aim for a once a month journey for general soul balance and this time around, forget whether to take a left or a right when the highway comes into a Y. Tel Aviv or East Jerusalem, we think out loud. "geez, I mean, prolly Tel Aviv, but Jerusalem seems to make more sense, why can I not remember?" I ask. "Well, I suppose if we go to Palestine, somebody will stop us" replies P Bonez as he swings a left. Within seconds an Israeli policeman stops us and begins yelling at us where we think we're going. (American Tourist act kicks in) "eh- Yerushaliym?" I meekly answer. "Atem Koshveem ze po Yerushaliym????(You THINK This is Yerushaliym??)" He angrily replies in Hebrew. "well, technically...." I begin as homeboy turns the car around and we snicker.

Last night, the girls and I went to grab a bite at a no name restaurant we tend to call the 25 Shekel place. They have actually raised the prices and now I refer to it as the 35 Shekel place. As we call for our check, a police van Pulls in front of the restaurant (which is all glass) and announces through the loud speaker that there is an unidentified object across the street and to please retreat to the back of the restaurant until further notice. Many of the customers get up immediately but home girls and I don't, because we simply didn't hear and some of us didn't understand what was being said. "don't worry, this is Israel" a Israeli woman next to me whispers. I start to answer that some of us girls have lived here for a few years- or that this is my 7th unidentified object since I moved here and that I practically pay rent in food at this restaurant, but allow her to assume I'm just another tourist. I take this instance as the latter- I needed a bit of extra time to figure what was going on.

Funny this place is. But quite entertaining.

3 Comments:

At 1/02/2007 11:45 AM, Anonymous Carol said...

Just ran across your blog. I, also am from Tulsa and have been in Israel 3 years.
I can't tell from your blog how long you have been here, but I hope things are going well!
Best, Carol

 
At 1/02/2007 1:34 PM, Blogger Ginrod Isus said...

wow- I was convinced I was the only Tulsan living in Israel. We should be in touch! email me!

 
At 1/03/2007 8:25 PM, Anonymous Carol said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment