Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Bagong


As a child, I was hand fed Bago'ong by my grandmother. As she would try to feed me other foods, I would shake my blonde head and say "no, no Nanay, I want the fish with the eyes". She would then take a jar out of the fridge and spoon out tiny (as in the size of your thumbnail) salted fish, wrap them in a ball of rice and pop them into my hungry mouth.
.
Bago'ong comes in many forms, as a purple shrimp/fish paste, and in Bolinao, the village of my mother, in the form of baby fish packed for months in salt and transferred by the barrel. When I went home for the holidays, I was disappointed to tell my mom that, post conversion- I wouldn't be able to eat my childhood chocolate.
.
"But susi, my mom answered, these baby fish grow into fish with scales."
.
This is when my Kosher learning comes into practice. If a fish that has scales grows into a fish which loses it- it is not kosher. What about the opposite? Are fish Kosher if they grow up to have scales but don't have them in the form we eat them?
.
After many weeks of playing stump the Rabbi, I have come to find that- indeed I will not have to hesitate to eat my guilty pleasure. For Bagong is Kosher. Will my mother be as excited as I?
.
Happy Thursday homies.

1 Comments:

At 2/04/2007 11:17 AM, Blogger cornflake girl said...

Yayyyyyy!!!! Best news ever :)

 

Post a Comment