Tuesday, November 28, 2006

General Stuff.


S.E Asians have this natural ability to keep their heads above water under any circumstance. Take my grandmother for example. She bore 12 children naturally, put most of them through university, lost three of them and her husband and she still manages to do shadow kung fu with me in living rooms.
.
She gets on planes with a heart condition and her hair is still in place when she walks out of the terminal, 15 hours later. "Grandma, if you're tired we can rest" I would tell her when we were in Germany the previous summer. "No no no, I am fine Sooosi, it's just tiring after a couple hours of walking" replies my 80 year old grandmother.
.
It's no wonder when I call my aunt, who is recovering from major surgery (and not her first in the last 10 years) that she answers with this upbeat voice. "Ah Soosi, it's soo good to hear from you my sweet susi." "I see the drugs are working well Aunty" I reply. She goes on to tell me the surgery was fine, no complications, full recovery expected.. yadda yadda yadda, and I trust it- mostly for the fact that i'm not in the mood to worry about my aunt, the one I grew up with, who has maintained the essence of a 20 year old in a body two decades older.
.
I update her on my life, pleased that it is going as usual, and it's pretty satisfying and delicious in the belly of my soul, and on and on, I tell her about the escaped seriel rapist in Tel Aviv, and how i'm not worried about myself- but in the Sisterhood of women, I am scared for the potential victims. "I'm not worried about you Soosi," she states.
.
"I'm not worried about myself" I reply. Granted- I am scared, it would be ignorant not to be, but I am also angry about the situation. You never realize how many dark corners are in your own city until those dark corners become a threat. You never realize how safe you actually feel in your city until that safety is challenged. You never feel the bitterness of being female when you realize your male counterparts don't need to protect themselves. I guarantee that phone bills will be high this month, in leiu of feeling the fear of streets full of shadows after the sun sets.
.
And the longer this man is on the run, the more all us women of Tel Aviv are gonna be more and more pissed off.



1 Comments:

At 12/12/2006 5:02 AM, Blogger alias pail said...

filipino women are the leaders of the philippines.

 

Post a Comment