Tuesday, October 31, 2006

random thoughts of a Ginrod


Do you all know what Foetus in Foetu is? It's a rare condition which deals with the embryonic development of twins. Except, one of the embryo's grows inside of the other one. So -normal twin grows and grows and then one day, feels some movement in his abdomen and walla- there is his long lost twin, living as a parasite inside his abdomen. Some of these lesser twins have been found to have hair, teeth.. Half a head.

Shivers down my spine I tell you.

Learn something new? Learn Foetus in Foetu! As my every-Monday- taxi driver drove me to Bnei Brak for my every-Monday super orthodox lesson, I thought deeply about this rare condition. I wondered where you place G-d in these physiological disasters. The Torah is the guide to life. Where in the Torah tells you how to perceive such disorders? Anyone?

My lesson last night composed of me playing my weekly "what if" game. "so... " I began, "candle is lighted on Shabbat. Candle falls over, starts rapidly growing fire. Do you put it out?" " No, I make sure my family is safe and put water AROUND the area and go outside." answers my tutor. "you can't be serious" i answer, "You would risk your home, the apartment building, the block!! ...Instead if extinguishing the flame??". "Can't break Shabbat." she answers.

riight. Is it wrong for me to admit I don't believe her? Nor would I do the same thing.

So- I laid my kopf to bed last night, and tried my best to remember myself at 6 years old. It's quite simple to do, given the fact that my father walked around with a video camera glued to his right shoulder most of my childhood. I remember my Big brown eyes with flyaway hairs bursting out from my French braid. Corduroy pants, my hands in my pockets..big goofy smile.. lightly freckled. Then I thought of myself now, and if I could reach into the past and whisper in Susi Elaine's ear. Tell her some things that I feel, so maybe it makes it better in the future. She would never believe me, and even if she started to listen, her brother would run and grab her hand, tell her not to talk to strangers, and they would skip home, for dinner. And the Susi of the future , of the now, would go on her way, wishing she had someone whisper her a little truth about all of this when she was a kid, maybe she would be a bit stronger- a little bit more prepared.

4 Comments:

At 10/31/2006 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your tutor is so WRONG. With respect, her understanding of Jewish Law appears to be poor. Not only CAN you break shabbat in such a case, you HAVE to. It is a positive commandment to break shabbat if there is any danger to life. A fire is such a case. It makes me so mad that you are inaccurately taught...

 
At 10/31/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Ginrod Isus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/31/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger Ginrod Isus said...

Yes, you are right and we did discuss that. She said she would insure the safety of those around and ultimately if those around are safe, allow the fire to burn. Whereas, I would immediately put the fire out without thought immediately.

I think the bigger question was: on what level is an emergency? it is judged by the action (the fire beginning to burn)-or the reaction, waiting for it to reach an emergency level to take action.

No worries, I'm not inaccuretely taught, I asked her what she would do. with the knowledge that emergency situations are an ausnahme.

 
At 10/31/2006 11:56 PM, Anonymous Melanie said...

During a recent service at my friend's Chabad group, a fire *did* start. From what I was told, a decision was quickly made - possibly by one of the non-Orthodox members - to put out the fire. I would argue that, by allowing the fire to burn, and possibly spread to other buildings or areas, one is endangering far more than just the lives of those in the immediate area. I'm with you on this one.

 

Post a Comment